Monday, June 30, 2008

Surviving the Gulleywasher at the grocery store

The rains of the weekend continued to plague my travels on Sunday. This was the day of my biweekly grocery store trek. I had slept in and was a bit behind schedule when starting out. The pain in my stomach told me my body needed nourishment in order to make it in and out of the store without extra packages of chips and ho-hos. Using my eyes and ears, I made my way to the local Taco Bell and ordered a high protein nacho from the 79 cent menu. It was small, but it would give me the much needed nutrients to continue on my quest. About the time I pulled out of the parking lot, the rain started to drizzle. I continued to the store, a few blocks down the road. Little did I know what was awaiting me.



As I found my parking slot, the rain increased. I had to eat my lunch before I could go in, so I started taking out all of the accoutrement's to eat my meal safely. Napkins, fork, the standard gear--when it happened. Whoosh! Seemingly out of nowhere--the heavens opened up and dumped water upon me.




That was a long 10 minutes--let me tell you. I did not dare open the window or crack the door. This was a drencher. Only a few seconds in rain like that and you will be soaked to the bone. This will leave you susceptible to all sorts of aches and pains if you go wet into the air conditioning of the grocery store. And if you go to the freezer section with wet hair--well, people have died doing that.



I stayed in my spot--eating my humble, but delicious meal in the makeshift shelter of my van. The music of Bruce Springstein lulled my fears and was good company during that lonely time.


Abandoned Cars




Eventually, there was a break in the downpour. A hole in the clouds right above us allowed the sun to shine through. I took full advantage of this lull--I grabbed my mini-umbrella, secured my keys to my purse (with the help of my handy caribeaner), wrapped the strap around my neck and hopped out.



The aftermath was horrendous. Standing, running water was sure to leave my feet wet. I lifted them as far as I could without looking like I was marching (that would draw too much attention and make me a sitting duck) to avoid water being picked up in the bottom of my sandals. They were a loss either way.



But I did make it into the store--clothes minimally wet and hair dry--and managed to complete my shopping without a glitch. Moral of this story--a high protein snack, adequate shelter and and umbrella will help you get into the store and buy the groceries your babies need to grow and thrive.



That's all for now,



Survivor Mom

No comments: